[Beowulf] /usr/local over NFS is okay, Joe

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Fri Jul 4 05:40:30 PDT 2008

On 4 Jul 2008, at 12:44 pm, Tony Travis wrote:

> One thing that I value from my BSD/SunOS/Solaris days is /export,
> which is where ALL shared (exported) filesystems should be placed on
> NFS servers. I'm a real supporter of Debian/Ubuntu, but it drives me
> bonkers that Debian policy is to put home directories in /home. I
> put them in:
>
> 	/export/home

If you want a Debian system to do that, just:

sed -i -e 's:^DHOME=/home:DHOME=/export/home:' /etc/adduser.conf

Job done.  All users created after that will be in /export/home

> Naturally, I don't always practice what I preach and recently I've
> been trying to work out to use the automounter the 'Debian' way ;-)

There is no automounter "Debian way", at least not in my view, and I
maintain one of the automounter packages for them.  :-)  You're free
to do whatever you like.  am-utils does have an example configuration
it can set up, but the package does not assume you're using it that
way, and makes no demands on what you have automounted and where.  I
have two automount intercept points on my machines; /nfs for home
directories and general data directories, and /software for the sort
of common software that we've been discussing here.

Tim