[Beowulf] automount on high ports

Carsten Aulbert carsten.aulbert at aei.mpg.de
Wed Jul 2 22:40:48 PDT 2008

Hi all,

Greg Lindahl wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 06:31:51PM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>
>> It isn't quite that bad. You can use one of the SO_REUSE* calls in the
>> code to make things less dire. Apparently the kernel doesn't do that
>> for NFS client connection establishment, though. There is probably
>> some code to fix here.
>
> That's what I thought at first, too. But since you only have a 2-tuple
> and not a 4-tuple when it comes time to pick the port number,
> SO_REUSEADDR doesn't do anything.

A solution proposed by the nfs guys is pretty simple:

Change the values of
/proc/sys/sunrpc/{min,max}_resvport
appropriately. But they don't know which ceiling will be next. But we
will test it.

Thanks for now and I'll read through the other side thread about forking
vs. threading vs. serialization :)

Carsten