[Beowulf] open mosix alternative

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Tue Jul 1 13:24:04 PDT 2008

Greg Lindahl wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 02:06:34PM -0400, Joe Landman wrote:
>
>>   If you prefer more of an SMP model (simpler programming), you should
>> look at ScaleMP DSMs.  Some on this list argue the shared memory
>> programming is not easier than distributed memory programming,
>
> Gee, and I thought the biggest argument about ScaleMP was that the
> previous 50 times the same thing was attempted, it had low
> performance.

The researchy DSMs had low performance.  That is known.  This one seems
not to be bad over good IB nets.  You always have latency.  Can't escape
that.

> I'd love to see some benchmarks (other than Stream). So if you do look
> at it, please share.

If you are serious about this, I'll bug Shai as to what is shareable.
He does have benchmarks.  The ones I have seen (real applications, not
microbenchmarks), looked pretty good.  Which is why we are looking at them.

Joe

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO