[Beowulf] Re: Cheap SDR IB

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu Jan 31 04:29:33 PST 2008

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 01:05:13PM -0800, David Mathog wrote:
>
>> IB would be massive overkill for gaming, 100 (or even 10) baseT should
>> work just fine unless the network is hideously congested, in which case
>> the game is probably going to become unplayable due to dropped UDP packets.
>
> Modern games are moving towards realtime large-scale physical simulations,
> and there's a natural mapping of the terrain to a 2d grid (torus) or 3d
> grid of nodes. (Unfortunately, e.g. Second Life seems to be written
> in .Net (Mono) and partitioned by virtual servers, so no MPI there).

Yeah, and Second Life is pig-dog-slow over DSL, as well.  I don't think
it puts much of a virtual world on your PC and relies on actually
rendering information sent from the servers.  Not enough bandwidth or
server time in the world yet to make that work particularly well except
to e.g. University workstations with minimum 45 Mbps bottlenecks in
between...

    rgb

Duke University Physics Dept, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305