[Beowulf] Cheap SDR IB

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 07:56:28 PST 2008

On Jan 30, 2008 8:58 AM, Mark Hahn <hahn at mcmaster.ca> wrote:

> IB for gaming?  I have one ratio: 1e-1/3e-6.  that's human reaction
> time versus IB latency.
>
> Not to stray off-topic, but I must defend the needs of gamers. There are
e+6 pixels and the video card has to react to a very great deal, sometimes,
before the player is presented with his decisecond opportunity. I've spent
minutes staring at a lagged screen without being able to take an action.
Math, Physics, and Computer Science are all great challanges, but nobody has
a harder job than Necromancers.
But the bottleneck seems to be the video card, not the network pipeline; I
just mean the net's job is bigger than my reaction time. I used to think,
"this 300 baud modem is great, it's faster than I can type" but I wouldn't
be able to handshake with the ISP, now, with that.
Peter