[Beowulf] how to detect boundedness

stephen mulcahy smulcahy at aplpi.com
Tue Jan 22 00:38:48 PST 2008

Toon Knapen wrote:
> I would like to ask you all what your preferred method is to detect if
> and how strongly an application is cpu-, memory- or I/O-bound. Do you
> 1) just run the app. on different machines (with diff. characteristics)
> 2) use the profiler
> 3) use hardware monitors such as cache-miss rate, ...

Hi,

I'm inclined to use a bunch of tools (htop, dstat, vmstat, iostat, free,
ganglia) to get a picture of whats happening on the system while my app
is running and then start making some inferences from the behaviour I
observe.

Having the ability to test your application on hardware with different
characteristics after coming to some tentative conclusions about the
charactertistics of your application sounds like a good option but could
be pretty time consuming.

-stephen

--
Stephen Mulcahy, Applepie Solutions Ltd., Innovation in Business Center,
GMIT, Dublin Rd, Galway, Ireland.  +353.91.751262  http://www.aplpi.com