[Beowulf] VMC - Virtual Machine Console

Rayson Ho raysonlogin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 19:20:33 PST 2008

On Jan 18, 2008 5:53 PM, Bernard Li <bernard at vanhpc.org> wrote:
> -- but I'd also like to hear whether there are any general performance
> benefits to setting CPU affinity.  Do major schedulers support this?
> Would this help with embarrassingly parallel jobs VS large MPI jobs on
> manycore machines?

I am working on adding processor affinity support for serial and
parallel jobs for Grid Engine, and I am working with the OpenMPI
developers to define an interface.

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/BrowseList?list=dev&by=thread&from=27044
http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/devel/2008/01/2949.php
http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/devel/2008/01/2964.php

BTW, LSF 7.0.2 supports processor affinity for serial jobs. However,
supporting processor affinity for serial jobs is only useful when the
OS scheduler is dumb...

See also: "Enhancing an Open Source Resource Manager with
Multi-Core/Multi-threaded Support" -- this paper talks about the
support of processor affinity in SLURM:
http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~feit/parsched/jsspp07/p2-balle.pdf

Rayson