Time limits in queues (was: Re: [Beowulf] VMC - Virtual Machine Console)

Geoff geoff at galitz.org
Sun Jan 20 10:42:05 PST 2008

Interesting.  We (and by we, I refer to my time at UC Berkeley College of
Chemistry) used to implement multiple queues with various time
restrictions to accomdate short, medium, long and extended run jobs.  It
was an honor to system to be sure, but I spent a great amount of time
working with the researchers on an indvidual level to foster the trust
that an honor system needs. There was also a little logic to allow
submitted jobs to skew towards one end of the spectrum if the cluster was
not fully utilized, and not expected to be so.  Working that closely with
folks also allowed us to chart cluster usage for about a month (and
sometimes much more) so we can tweak cluster policy if appropriate.

It worked out for the most part, but there was the occasional scofflaw.
With the trust relationship I had with the researchers, we could usually
nag the scofflaws back into line.

Layer 8 issues can certainly lead to trouble, but it can also be used to
your advantage!

Just a personal observation.  I realize this kind of thing would not work
everywhere.

-geoff

PS, sorry for any duplicate copies of this email, I am having some ISP
issues this week.

--
Geoff Galitz, geoff at galitz.org
Blankenheim, Deutschland