[Beowulf] VMC - Virtual Machine Console

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Jan 16 15:09:47 PST 2008

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Jeffrey B. Layton wrote:

Dear Jeff:

> Joe Landman wrote:
>> Just some thoughts, hopefully not all that flammable  (Jeff, what is that
>> rule?  I am being asked, and I don't have an answer ...)
> Rule: (Theorem)
> Anything that appears to be flame-bait, actually is.
>
> Corollary:
> Not matter what you say, no matter how much experience
> you have, no matter how much evidence you have, someone
> will always either:
> (a) violently disagree with you to their death bed, inviting more
> posts on the subject or any other subject that appears to be flame
> bait.

As I sit here in my comfortable bed experiencing severe chest pain, I
have to tell you that you are wrong, wrong, wrong.  This is not what
flame-bait is.  I may have to cut you with a knife.

> -or-
> (b) Misunderstand everything and post something worthless
> possibly inviting more posts on the subject or any other subject
> that appears to be flame bait.

Flame bait (as all proper fishermen know) is what you get when you spill
your glass of straight Everclear into the worms and then "accidentally"
knock the coal of your cigar in on top as you sway gently from side to
side in the boat, waiting for fish to bite.  It's a variant of stink
bait and cut bait -- fish don't bite on them much either.  In fact, fish
don't bite much.  But they REALLY don't bite on flame bait.

Only cluster-fanatics bite on flame bait.  Usually after a tall, cool
glass of Everclear and a cigar...

    rgb