[Beowulf] Multiple NIC on a node

Nathan Moore ntmoore at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 14:39:11 PST 2008

Hi,

I've aquired a few clusternodes that have multiple ethernet jacks.  One the
system-config-network applet I see several different adaptors (eg eth0 and
eth1).  Right now, I've got a many more free ports on my switch than I have
nodes in my cluster, so I'm wondering if there's some performance benefit
from hooking up the second NIC.

Do any of you have a tutorial on multiple NIC's per compute node that you'd
be willing to share?  I'm assigning static IP's with named, and cocurrently
maintaining /etc/hosts files on each machine with the full cluster map.  Do
I "just" assign a secon IP address for the second eth1 jack?  Is there more
to it?

Nathan Moore

--
Nathan Moore