[Beowulf] Virtual resource manager

Rayson Ho raysonlogin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 09:41:05 PST 2008

On Jan 4, 2008 7:50 AM, andrew holway <andrew at moonet.co.uk> wrote:
> Id like to find out if there are any projects out there to develop a
> resource manager that can control a virtual cluster. We would like to
> explore the idea of using xen to deploy operating systems on nodes,
> checkpoint jobs and deploy MS ccs. Primarily interested in open source
> initiatives.

Take a look at this paper: "Xen and the Art of Cluster Scheduling". It
integrates SGE (Sun Grid Engine) and Xen, and creates XGE (Xen Grid

And Sun has another open source project called Open xVM.  xVM Server
is a hypervisor based on Xen and xVM Ops Center allows provisioning of
cluster nodes.

xVM is used to deploy cluster nodes at the Ranger supercomputer at
TACC. With 3,936 nodes and 16 cores per node:

I believe you would be able to get some feedback from both the SGE and
the OpenxVM projects...
SGE homepage: http://gridengine.sunsource.net/