[Beowulf] need for an advice on nfs and diskless clients

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed Feb 20 13:27:47 PST 2008

Greetings Maxime:

Maxime Kinet wrote:

> I know that there are several different options to make several clients
> mounting their filesystems, and that this one might not be the most
> efficient one, but I choosed that one just because I knew already how to
> do it. Now everything works fine, except that I would like to spare some
> diskspace on the master partition. Since each filesystem is around 500
> Mb, I quickly reach more than 10Gb just for the /tftpboot directory.

Have you looked at using UnionFS or AuFS to make a single shared file
system for the nodes, with a writable/localized component?  I presume
that most of the nodes will share most of the (static) files.  /var and
a few others (/proc /sys /etc ...) should likely be localized, but this
is fairly easy to do with UnionFS/AuFS.

Also, have you looked at Perceus?  They have a good system for running
out of a RAM disk, which you can leverage here as well.  There are some
diskless based cluster efforts that you could also explore (onesis).

Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
Scalable Informatics LLC,
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com