[Beowulf] High Performance SSH/SCP

Mark Kosmowski mark.kosmowski at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 13:38:04 PST 2008

> Robert G. Brown wrote:
> >  Rsh "and" anything else is difficulty squared,
> > and kerberos isn't the universally implemented tool it was a decade ago,
> > largely superceded by ssh and/or ssl connections.  So finding experts to
> > help you make it work if you're a newbie isn't going to be that easy.
>
> I don't think there's anything difficult about setting up rsh, ssh or
> kerberos for anyone who know how to read a manual. A newbie shouldn't be
> setting up a cluster in the first place. That's advanced kung-fu best
> left to the black belts. Letting a neophyte build and run an HPC cluster
> is some kind of oxymoron.
>
> Yes, I know that professors usually tell some green graduate student to
> go build a cluster for the dept, but that's a completely different topic
> outside the scope of this list...

I'm either not as much of a newbie / neophyte as I think I am or I missed
the memo about this list being for pro's only.

As far as the scope of this list, as clustering becomes more and more
prolific, there are going to be more and more newbies.  This list is, like
it or not, one of the "franchise" clustering information portals.  When I
was first building my first (and only) personal cluster I stopped by here
and at ClusterMonkey primarily to get my feet wet.  Most of the things were
(and, frankly, still are) quite above my head, but I was made aware of many
other resources and things to think about - this increased understanding is
helpful even if I don't implement many of the ideas dicussed here.  The end
result is a functioning cluster - mayhps not nearly as elegant as many of
the clusters many of the others on the list maintain, but I get data
nonetheless.

I think it would be a disservice to the community to turn away cluster
newbies from this list.  At the very least encouragement and resource links
should be provided.  Appropriately experienced list members with a bit of
time are also free to take discussions off to private email if that is more
appropriate than the list in general.  After all, the world is replete with
examples of complete newbie's coming up with ideas to revolutionize the
fields to which they are new.

Mark Kosmowski