[Beowulf] centos5 as cluster os

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Fri Feb 15 09:57:22 PST 2008

On 15 Feb 2008, at 5:45 pm, Joe Landman wrote:

> Ok, will have to learn aptitude.  I can't stand its tui.

I didn't like it much to start with, I can sympathise.  There are
still things about it I hate, but mainly only in its full screen
guise.  The CLI functions are pretty much the same as apt-get, and
fairly sane.  It should come with a *big* health warning in Sarge and
earlier.  The Etch version is fine, though.  In Lenny, apt-get and
aptitude are sort of merging with one another.

If you want a really good book to get to grips with how Debian and its
derivatives work, look no further than "The Debian System" by Martin
Krafft:

http://www.amazon.com/Debian-System-Concepts-Techniques/dp/1593270690

I've been a Debian Developer for more than 10 years, but I bought that
book last year and it's still teaching me useful stuff.  Several of us
in my group have bought it now, and we all swear by it.  Pretty much
everything it says about Debian applies to Ubuntu as well.

Tim