[Beowulf] Setting up a new Beowulf cluster

Berkley Starks bjtstarks at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 13:33:54 PST 2008

Thank you all so much for the advice so far.  This has helped me see a few
more of the things that I did not realize at first.

For a little info on the project, I developed this project as a tool to work
on my Senior Thesis in a year or so.  Doing computational nuclear physics
requires such resources.  It will also be used heavily for Monte Carlo
Simulations and just about any other form of computational physics.  The two
named are definite projects that are already on the line up for when I do
get the cluster up and functional.

I want to be able to make the cluster easily expandable, in that I will be
starting with only a few machines (about 2-8), but will be acquiring more as
time goes on.  The university that I am attending surpluses out "old"
machines every 4 years, and we have set up a program where we can get a
percentage of the surplus machines for out cluster.

So, as for size.  Initially it will be a smaller cluster, but will grow as
time goes on.

Being new to the Beowulf world, I am just mainly looking for some advice as
to what distro to use (I would never dream of setting up a cluster on
windows) and if there were any little tricks that weren't mentioned in the
setup how to guides.

Oh, and I would also like to know if there was a way to set up a task
priority where if I had only only application running it would use all the
processors on the cluster, but if I had two tasks sent to the cluster then
it would split the load between them and run both simultaneously, but still
using a maximum for the needed processors.

Thanks again so much,

Berkley