[Beowulf] PVM on wireless...

Lombard, David N dnlombar at ichips.intel.com
Wed Feb 6 11:06:08 PST 2008

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 10:40:30AM -0500, Robert G. Brown wrote:
> Anybody on list have any idea why PVM fails to add hosts over a wireless
> link?  I've now tried this over multiple distro version and at least one
> PVM update, and it just doesn't work.  Works fine over a wire, fails on
> wireless, and as far as I know wire and wireless are both "identical"
> at the kernel interface layer so that any e.g. socket one might open is
> absolutely ecumenical about what the underlying hardware is (good old
> ISO/OSI layering, right?).

What is the device name?  Perhaps PVM doesn't like the name?
Are you running multiple devices?
Does the system set its node name or is some odd name provided by DHCP?
Other name resolution problems?

> And yes, I'm well aware that from a latency/bw point of view this
> arrangement isn't going to be a speed demon or scale terribly well, but
> for testing PVM from a laptop or writing code from a laptop or just
> playing with PVM itself for fun or profit from a laptop it would
> certainly be lovely if it WORKED, however poorly as far as IPCs are
> concerned.

I've run multiple VMware instances on my *Linux* laptop back in the day
when I did OSCAR development and Rocks evals.

--
David N. Lombard, Intel, Irvine, CA
I do not speak for Intel Corporation; all comments are strictly my own.