[Beowulf] max number of NFS threads: NFS config optimization

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 17:32:36 PST 2008

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 6:03 PM, David N. Lombard
<dnlombar at ichips.intel.com> wrote:
> This line looks for the file /etc/sysconfig/nfs and sources it. So,
> you would put a line that looks like
>
>        RPCNFSDCOUNT=16
>
> if you wanted to set the value to 16.

Thanks David. I did exactly that.

> How many concurrent requests do you think you'll need to satisfy?
> Try that number.

How do I interpret "concurrent". I have the /home mounted by about 256
clients via NFS. Not each node would be accessing the same file at the
same time though. Besides there could be two processes on a node
accessing two different files on /home via NFS.

What time-granularity of access are we looking at. Maybe some of my
queries are irrelevant; sorry I am quite a newbiee about the internal
workings of file-systems.

More relevant though: Any ways / hacks to monitor , say, for 24 hours
of system run how many concurrent requests I've had? Perhaps I can
script something together for diagnostics?

--
Rahul