[Beowulf] Newbie Question: Racks versus boxes and good rack solutions for commodity hardware

arjuna brahmaforces at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 21:29:46 PST 2008

Robert:

Out of curiosity how come you were in Delhi?

>  I am in NewDelhi India. However I would prefer to put the cluster together
>> myself, because
>>

> Ya, that's where I lived for seven years growing up.
>

> All excellent and traditional reasons, although you'll want to learn a
> compiler, either C, C++ or Fortran.  Which one is most appropriate
> depends a little bit on the application space you want to work in, a
> little bit on your personality.  None are terribly like python.

Off c, c++ I would go for C++ to avoid the lower level stuff, but why would
i need C++ or fortran, why can i not accomplish the same or more in python
as it is a programming space of choice for me?

> Oh, and New Delhi has one other unique-ish environmental constraint,
> unless things have changed a lot since I lived there.  Post-monsoon,
> when it dries out again you have dust storms.  I don't think most list
> members can really imagine them, but I can (I used to climb a tree
> outside of our house and feel the dust stinging my cheeks and erasing
> the buildings all from sight).  You will need to be able to keep the
> dust that infiltrates EVERYWHERE in the houses at that time out of the
> computer room, as computers (especially the cooling fans) don't like
> dust.  After a big one, you may need to shut down and vaccuum out the
> insides of your systems.

Its not so bad, i have a bunch of computers in my art studio and they have
been running for a while now, no problem...Clustering them would just mean
putting the already running computers in a different config.