[Beowulf] SSD prices

Jeff Layton laytonjb at att.net
Fri Dec 12 05:09:07 PST 2008

Greg Lindahl wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 11:04:47AM +1100, Chris Samuel wrote:
>

>> Hmm, I was thinking that until I read this blog post by
>> one of the kernel filesystem developers (Val Henson from
>> Intel) who had some (possibly Apple specific) concerns
>> about data corruption & reliability and why she still
>> chooses spinning disks over SSD.
>>

> Nothing new in that blog post. We'll find out the actual reliability
> of this generation of flash SSD when they've been around for a while,
> and not an anecdote sooner.

This is one of the ugly secrets about SSD's that haven't gotten
out very to the masses. They have data corruption issues.
JEDEC has certain requirements for data retention basically
as a function of capacity. For SSD's at 10% of the rewrite
capacity, you need to retain the data for 10 years. Current
crops of SSD's with MLC barely meet this goal (actually it's a
function of the NAND's). Neat 100% of the rewrite life of the
SSD they need to hold the data for only 1 year! So if you are
near the end of life of the SSD, get your data off of there and
pronto!

Jeff