[Beowulf] Inside Tsubame - the Nvidia GPU supercomputer - OpenCL

Loic Tortay tortay at cc.in2p3.fr
Fri Dec 12 04:01:56 PST 2008

Florent Calvayrac-Castaing wrote:
[...]
> Interesting.
>
> I understand why, when I submitted a joint exploratory project
> about GPU computing two years ago with a Japanese
> colleague we were ranked first in Japan and last in France ; the
> idea seems more popular in Japan if they can fork  millions
> on an architecture it is not very quick to program for (at least
> maybe not as fast as Moore's law is increasing power).

They may be willing to spend millions because they already have programs
able to use the GPUs.

If I'm not mistaken, the "Tsubame" cluster was initially using
Clearspeed accelerators (in Sun X4600 "fat" nodes).

Therefore, they probably have appropriate programs that need little
adaptation (or less than many) to work on the GPUs.

Loïc.