[Beowulf] Setting up First Beowulf System: Recommendations re racking, linux flavour, and up to date books

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu Dec 11 07:40:28 PST 2008

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008, Prentice Bisbal wrote:

> Personally, I recommend starting with the "why" and learning the theory
> of parallel programming. It will make designing effective parallel
> programs easier. I have these two parallel computing texbooks on my
> bookshelf:

Excellent point.  Don't forget Ian Foster's book:

   http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/dbpp/

This has the advantage of being available for free online as well as in
hardcover if you prefer it that way.  So you can read it NOW and see if
it meets your needs, and explore the other books below (where I haven't
read Wilkinson and Allen but have looked through GKKG and agree that
it's a lovely book) as you can obtain a copy.

    rgb