[Beowulf] For grins...India

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Wed Dec 10 15:07:37 PST 2008

On Dec 10, 2008, at 10:39 PM, Nifty Tom Mitchell wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 08:37:54AM -0500, Robert G. Brown wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Dec 2008, Dan.Kidger at quadrics.com wrote:
>>> And I am sure Iceland would find it much easier to do the machine
>>> room
>>> cooling than say Spain or the Southern USA
>> In the meantime, the advent of the overdue ice age will...
> ----
> And in many of the 'global warming' reserch groups are those that are
> looking at 'anoxic' ocean regons in the ocean as bad side effects of
> global warming.  In a geologic perspective it is exactly the
> environment
> that sequestered so much carbon as coal.  These regions and processes
> may be critical in keeping the lid on CO2 in the atmosphere.
> As for the north polar cap it would be interesting to model the
> warm water
> flow of the Japan Current as it encounters the Bering Strait.  Only
> 53 Miles
> wide the warm water flow change into the artic with less than a
> meter rise
> in the sea level would be large (%age) and have a butterfly effect
> on the artic.
> On the converse, a probject to place a meter+ thick gravel flow
> barrier would
> be an engineering project akin to a railroad ballast 53 miles long
> (easy).
> With GPS locators dredge/ fill/ rock could be placed with precision
> to this end and PERHAPS
> reverse the shrinking of the artic ice sheet and increase the
> albedo of
> the earth and perhaps restoring the status quo in this regard.

Of course as usual such a barrier has some political implications.
Putin's building 5 new aircraft carriers not even days after oil was
found underneath the northpole
with a russian flag on the bottom already.

If there is ice once again over there how is he gonna get out the oil
out of there?

> OK grosly simplified but there are not many environmental pinch points
> with as much global leverage.
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuroshio
> Others are thinking about this.  But are they able to modeling it?

What we need is accurate calculations.

All the accuracy goes to military currently not to climate modelling
it seems. Why is that?
Politicians just 4 years to power each one of 'em?