[Beowulf] Intro question

Prentice Bisbal prentice at ias.edu
Fri Dec 5 05:47:53 PST 2008

John Hearns wrote:

> 2008/12/5 Robert G. Brown <rgb at phy.duke.edu <mailto:rgb at phy.duke.edu>>
>

>     He has had ads in computer magazines -- at least small ads in the back
>     -- for years and years.  Usually for physicists and mathematicians.  One
>     of the few people it looked like it would be interesting to work for,
>     actually.
>
> I was very interested in working for DE Shaw - they have an office in
> London, and it would
> have been an easy commute for me. It sounded an interesting place to
> work, and they obviously
> have some very bright people there.
> Sadly I didn't make it past the application stage. Que sera sera.

I read an article about D.E. Shaw that I wanted to link to, but couldn't
find it. In that article, it said that not only is his company very
secretive, but you don't apply there as much as they find you. They
allegedly read all the academic journals and find the top scientists in
the world, and then try to court them to work for D.E. Shaw. Being
offered a job there is like winning a Nobel, allegedly.  I guess that
doesn't necessarily apply to sys admins, since they were advertising
very heavily for them a couple of years ago.

--
Prentice