[Beowulf] Re: Intro question

Jan Heichler jan.heichler at gmx.net
Thu Dec 4 00:19:27 PST 2008

Hallo Bogdan,

Mittwoch, 3. Dezember 2008, meintest Du:

BC> On Wed, 3 Dec 2008, Mark Hahn wrote:

>> I don't know whether there would be any problem putting a real
>> interconnect card (10G, IB, etc) into one of these - some are
>> designed for GPU cards, so would have 8 or 16x pcie slots.

BC> Yes, they often have 2 slots, a PCIe 16x one for a graphics card and a
BC> PCIe 1x or PCI one for a TV card (for HTPC use ;-)).

But be careful here. It wouldn't be the first PCIe x16 where nothing else but a Graphic card work properly. If you browse through web-forums you see a lot of people trying to get a RAID-Controller (for example) working in a PCIe x16 - some boards just don't allow that.

So better test before you buy....

Ja