[Beowulf] Stroustrup regarding multicore

Matt Lawrence matt at technoronin.com
Wed Aug 27 20:00:34 PDT 2008

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Lux, James P wrote:

> But is it harder or easier to do that than to teach the Scientist to
> code?  In the long run, the effort in my approach is better invested,
> because it allows you to put 2 or more people to work, rather than just
> one.  If the Scientist spends their time coding, then they're not doing
> as much Sciencing.

That is a really terrifying idea.  Developing software is so much more
than just coding.  Trying to convince a brilliant Ph.D., who can probably
think rings around me, why they should do code reviews, why they should
write an automated suite and why they should implement a thorough
automatic build process is beyond the skill of many of us mere software
developers.

-- Matt
It's not what I know that counts.