[Beowulf] motherboard recommendations?

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Wed Aug 27 07:26:17 PDT 2008

I'm specing out a small cluster this week, and I'm looking for
recommendations on decent, inexpensive server mother boards. Important
features are handling reasonably recent Intel dual or quad core
processors, 8G of ECC memory, decent disk controller, decent onboard
NICs -- onboard IPMI and the like would be a plus.

I'm already familiar with the Intel S3000PT and X38ML, both of which
seem like good candidates, but I'm sure there are other reasonable
choices out there. (The X38ML seems a bit too pricey, unfortunately,
though it is otherwise ideal.)

Form factor is not important as we intend to run the boards bare. (I
have a clean, cheap and near zero labor way to do that we're testing
out with this cluster -- if it works, photographs and instructions
will be posted.)

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com