[Beowulf] gpgpu

Mikhail Kuzminsky kus at free.net
Tue Aug 26 11:35:07 PDT 2008

In message from Vincent Diepeveen <diep at xs4all.nl> (Tue, 26 Aug 2008
00:30:30 +0200):
>Hi Mikhail,
>I'd say they're ok for black box 32 bits calculations that can do with
>a GB or 2 RAM,
>other than that they're just luxurious electric heating.

I also want to have simple blackbox, but 64-bit (Tesla C1060 or
Firestream 9170 or 9250). Unfortunately the life isn't restricted to

So I'll need to program something other. People say that the best
choice is CUDA for Nvidia. When I look to sgemm source, it has about 1
thousand (or higher) strings in *.cu files. Thereofore I think that a
bit more difficult alghorithm  as some special matrix diagonalization
will require a lot of programming work :-(.

It's interesting, that when I read Firestream Brook+ "kernel function"
source example - for addition of 2 vectors ("Building a High Level
Language Compiler For GPGPU",
Bixia Zheng (bixia.zheng at amd.com)
Derek Gladding (dereked.gladding at amd.com)
Micah Villmow (micah.villmow at amd.com)
June 8th, 2008)

- it looks SIMPLE. May be there are a lot of details/source lines
which were omitted from this example ?

>p.s. if you ask me, honestely, 250 watt or so for latest gpu is really
>too much.

250 W is TDP, the average value declared is about 160 W. I don't
remember, which GPU - from AMD or Nvidia - has a lot of special
functional units for sin/cos/exp/etc. If they are not used, may be the
power will a bit more lower.

What is about Firestream 9250, AMD says about 150 W (although I'm not
absolutely sure that it's TDP) - it's as for some
Intel Xeon quad-cores chips w/names beginning from X.