[Beowulf] MPI build with different compilers

NiftyOMPI Mitch niftyompi at niftyegg.com
Thu Aug 21 13:19:12 PDT 2008

Yes, With some care you can/ may build and deploy multiple versions.
As a minimum both PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH must be well managed.
See alternatives.

Since MPI is only one of the critical and key libs to manage I should
point you to the GotoBLAS lib.

    http://www.tacc.utexas.edu/resources/software/#blas

If you work through the makefiles and download notes for the precompiled
versions you will get about as good an outline of vendor compiler variations

as you can get.

If you have exclusively Intel processors the Intel set of copilers
is hard to top especially for a university.   If  you have AMD
processors or a mix of AMD and Intel processors add PGI and Pathscale
etc. compilers to your review list.

Recently SUN has made available their compilers.  In the read me
they mention mpi.    The IDE looks good too.

There are two time frames for alternatives.  One is compile time
and another is run time.   Some of the batch system experts can comment
on how to address this in the context of a batch system.

A good search will find good stuff this set of pages has a good outline.
      http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/services/software/utilities/modules/
It will give you the keys for deeper research.

--
NiftyOMPI
T o m M i t c h e l l