[Beowulf] Can one Infiniband net support MPI and a parallel file system?

andrew holway andrew at moonet.co.uk
Wed Aug 6 02:26:27 PDT 2008

Gus,

It works(ish) and people are doing it but my research has shown that
it is not yet stable. I have been talking to various companies
offering lustre support. They have all told me that they can do it but
none have been able to offer a reference site.

I bet you the chaps behind roadrunner aren't going to be publishing
any downtime figures.

as mentioned by mark, If you try and force lots of stuff down the
tubes you are going to break something. I guess its a _bit_ like
torrents on a naff home router, lots and lots of small torrent
connections filling up the nat table which cannot purge itself fast
enough which mean that larger downloads time out as they fall off the
bottom of the table.

Data on how hard IB switches have to work would be interesting. I have
a feeling that many people are taking their fabric to the very edge
and back again!

Perhaps someone can shed more light on the problems?

ta

Andy