[Beowulf] Building new cluster - estimate

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Mon Aug 4 17:47:36 PDT 2008

Matt Lawrence wrote:

> So, any good info on kernel configuration when I go to build a new rpm?

Don't start with the distro .src.rpm for the kernel.  Build your own,
and integrate your patches manually.  Best way is take the barebones
kernel from kernel.org, do a 'make rpm-pkg' on it (will generate a
source RPM and spec file for you).  Then install this source rpm, and
voila, you have a working spec file.

Integrate your patches into this, and use this to build.

Decide what you need to support on your machines to spec your kernel
version.  Late model 2.6.25.x support NFS over RDMA so if you want that,
you need the latest flavor of this.  Decide which file system options
you want, and make sure to integrate them (as modules).  Remove things
that you wont use (ISDN, Telephony, ARCNET, ...)

> There are a huge number of options and you have obviously gone through
> them much more recently than I have.

A make xconfig can be quite helpful in changing the .config.