[Beowulf] MPICH vs. OpenMPI

Ashley Pittman apittman at concurrent-thinking.com
Thu Apr 24 00:14:05 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 13:34 -0400, Prentice Bisbal wrote:
> Can anyone give me a quick comparison of OpenMPI vs. MPICH? I've always
> used MPICH (I never liked lam), and just recently heard about OpenMPI.
> Anyone here using it?

In my experience as a general guide Mpich2 is faster but harder to work
with, openmpi has better error handling/diagnostics but is slower. They
are both open source and fairly easy to work with and both have
excellent support from the developers.

In today's world I'd recommend having both installed and available, you
may well find you have some codes which work better with one and some
which work better with the other.

Ashley,