[Beowulf] Big storage

Xavier Canehan canehan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 12:14:08 PDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 5:30 PM, Bruce Allen <ballen at gravity.phys.uwm.edu>
wrote:

> PPS: We've also been doing some experiments with putting OpenSolaris+ZFS
> > > on some of our generic (Supermicro + Areca) 16-disk RAID systems, which were
> > > originally intended to run Linux.
> > >
> >  I think that DESY proved some data corruption with such configuration,
> > so
> > they switched to OpenSolaris+ZFS.
> >

> I'm confused.  I am also talking about OpenSolaris+ZFS.  What did DESY
> try, and what did they switch to?

Sorry, I am indeed not clear.
As far as I know, DESY found data corruption using Linux and Areca cards.
They moved from linux to OpenSolaris and ZFS, avoiding other corruption.
This has been discussed in HEPiX storage workgroup.
However, I can not speak on their behalf at all. I'll try to get you in
touch with someone more aware of this issue, as my statements lack of
figures.

Regards,

X.