[Beowulf] where to start building ur own cluster distro

stephen mulcahy smulcahy at aplpi.com
Wed Apr 16 08:11:58 PDT 2008

Jon Aquilina wrote:
> desktop interface at least for the master node. then the others can pxe
> boot from the master. i know this becomes problematic the large the
> cluster. for now i think starting like this would be good to have a
> distro for people such as myself who are quite new to clustering.

If you're committed to rolling your own distro and joining the likes of
those listed at http://lwn.net/Distributions/ then I'd recommend Debian
as a good starting point.

But I'd echo Jakob's comments - I don't see much value in building a
"cluster distribution". It would be far more valuable to document how to
install a standard distro on a cluster - either your KUbuntu, standard
Ubuntu or any distro of your choice (I keep meaning to do this myself
for work we've done with Debian in the past but the time to do so keeps
getting away from me).

-stephen

--
Stephen Mulcahy, Applepie Solutions Ltd., Innovation in Business Center,
GMIT, Dublin Rd, Galway, Ireland.  +353.91.751262  http://www.aplpi.com