[Beowulf] QsNet (one) gear, anyone interested?

Dan.Kidger at quadrics.com Dan.Kidger at quadrics.com
Mon Apr 14 05:15:19 PDT 2008

Michal et al.

I work for Quadrics.
What you are descibing is the original QsNet interconnect (aka Elan3) as used in all Alphaserver SC machines like PSC and ASCI-Q.
The QM400 cards are PCI 66 MHz/64bit wide bus with 400MHz bi-directional links. It is also known as the 3X-CCNNA-AA in HP/Compaq part lists.

Using MPI, the bandwidth is quoted as 340MB/s with a latency of 4.7us (numbers from https://computing.llnl.gov/mpi/machines.html)

Yes the 16-port line cards in the 17U 128-way switch are virtually identical to the board in the 2U QMS-16 small switch.
Although I haven't tried myself, I think that they will work on there own as long as you supply some power and a bit of airflow.
http://web1.quadrics.com/onlinedocs/Linux/Hawk/html/QsNetInstall/QsNetInstall-cha-5.html is a good reference to the 16-way switch including photos, with installing and servicing information.
and http://web1.quadrics.com/onlinedocs/Linux/Hawk/html/QsNetInstall/QsNetInstall-cha-3.html#chapter765 descibes the 128way switch and the HCAs

The JTAG is just for management - you don't really need it as the switch's default configuration is fine for 16-way use.
But if you did, then yes the pin-out is standard and there are open source drivers for talking to it downloadable from our website.

Note that the 17U chassis also presuambly contains 16 smaller cards mounted horizontally. these are used to connect  the 8 16-way line cards together. Although they contain the same switch chip as the line cards, they do not have suitable connectors to make them useful for standalone use.

$20 per card/cables seems a bargain! so good luck to you.

Hope this helps,

Daniel

Dr. Dan Kidger, Quadrics Ltd.      daniel.kidger at quadrics.com
One Bridewell St., Bristol, BS1 2AA, UK   +44 (0)117 915 5519