[Beowulf] 3C2000 NIC discontinued

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Thu Apr 10 05:06:27 PDT 2008

Hello, Beowulf list.

I've been using 3COM 3C2000 Gigabit NIC's in our Beowulf cluster since I
built it. I'm very happy with them, but 3COM have now discontinued the
product:

http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=features&sku=3C996B-T&pathtype=purchase

I'd be grateful for comments or advice about alternative 'server' grade
NIC's that, like the 3C2000, can offload some of the burden the host CPU
would otherwise have to deal with. At present, I use the 3C2000 in all
the servers and PXE-booted compute nodes in our Beowulf, and I have a
few spares, but I want to find an alternative NIC for two new projects.

Thanks,

	Tony.
Dr. A.J.Travis,                     |  mailto:ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Rowett Research Institute,          |    http://www.rri.sari.ac.uk/~ajt
Greenburn Road, Bucksburn,          |   phone:+44 (0)1224 712751
Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK.    |     fax:+44 (0)1224 716687