[Beowulf] Re: SMPs + One processor machines = Heterogeneous Cluster

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Thu Apr 3 21:08:12 PDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 10:24:39AM +0800, Cally K wrote:

> answers my question but just to be on the safe side, i would like to know
> the response from the mailing list users.

Well, just like the word "SMP", heterogeneous has a definition which
depends on context. If I'm scheduling a job on a cluster, I think it's
heterogeneous if some nodes have a different amount of memory or a
different clock, or anything which makes their performance
non-uniform.  Most MPI codes only run as fast as their slowest
process.

That's the most picky definition, the least is the "do I have to
recompile?" definition.

-- greg