[Beowulf] Re: "Code" vs. "Codes"

G.M.Sigut sigut at id.ethz.ch
Wed Apr 2 22:18:11 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 07:16 -0700, beowulf-request at beowulf.org wrote:
> Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 19:23:18 +0000
> From: "Andrew M.A. Cater" <amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk>
> Yes, but this is "code" as in "thing to keep other things secret"
>
> cryptography, cryptanalysis, "code breaking"
>
> "code" as in "I'm finding it hard to code this thing up / the code is
> all in asm rather than C" is standard computer speak in the US and
> English speaking world.
>
> "codes" as in "the weather forecasting / CFD / higher order topology
> computer programs that I've been working on" - feels utterly alien
> but then "code" and "codex" are cognate.

Yes. There is also e.g. ASME Code as a set of rules for calculating
stresses in mechanical parts...

So when I say "I code code code" I am not having a strange hiccup,
but I mean "I am writing (coding) a program (code) implementing
stress calculation prescription (code)". I always thought that the
usage was slightly strange.

George

--
 ETH Zurich,  Informatikdienste, Abteilung Systemdienste, CH-8092 Zurich
 Swiss Federal Inst. of Technology Zurich, IT Services,  System Services
 e-mail: sigut at id.ethz.ch,  Phone:+41 44 632 5763,  Fax: +41 44 632 1022