[Beowulf] Barcelona vs. Woodcrest, computational chemistry research

andrew holway andrew at moonet.co.uk
Wed Sep 26 03:51:42 PDT 2007

Hi,

I am looking at chips for a small 20 node cluster for computational
chemistry. I'm trying to get my head around the various merits of the
different ways the cache work.

Considering the fairly chunky bits of data that are going to be going
through, does anyone have any opinion on how the new 1.9 Barcelona
will perform against a 2.66 woodcrest. Is the Intel front side bus
going to be a significant bottleneck for this type of application?

Cheers

Andy