[Beowulf] Re: overclocking with liquids

Bruce Allen ballen at gravity.phys.uwm.edu
Sat Sep 22 01:02:14 PDT 2007

> What do they use in high dollar gear that really needs this?  Fluorinert,
> such as FC77.  Totally inert, very low viscosity, doesn't tend to cling to
> the electronics, etc. available in a variety of boiling points so you can do
> "ebullient cooling" (aka 2 phase cooling)which doesn't need a pump, and is a
> lot more flow than straight convective flow.  You can also pump and spray it
> on the board.  It's about a specific gravity of 2.
>
> But.. it's about $500-600/gallon, so don't spill it.
>
> And, it dissolves enough oxygen that rats can be immersed and breathe it and
> survive to wiggle another day.

I remember when I was about 15 years old, a guy (either a doctor or
engineer) came to my school and demonstrated this to my class.  I still
remember it very clearly.  He first used a bit of chloroform or ether to
'knock out' the mouse then put him into the beaker of fluid.  We watched
the mouse breathe under the fluid for a while.  When the mouse was pulled
out the guy said 'time for a bit of mouth-to-mouse resuscitation' and blew
into the mouse's nose to help clear the fluid out of the mouse's lungs.
(All the girls were suitably disgusted by this step!) After a minute the
mouse was running around again and seemed no worse off.

Cheers,
       Bruce