[Beowulf] Measuring port to port latency

Kozin, I (Igor) i.kozin at dl.ac.uk
Thu Sep 20 07:27:53 PDT 2007

Hi Carsten,
Netpipe is a good tool. It can give you raw latency i.e. without the MPI
overhead (you can use it with MPI as well). As for the MPI latency there
are many programs which can measure it. For example, Intel MPI Benchmark
(former PMB) has PingPong test
http://www.intel.com/cd/software/products/asmo-na/eng/cluster/clustertoo
lkit/219848.htm
The Network-Based Computing Laboratory at the Ohio State University used
to host a number of benchmarking programs including the latency test.
Unfortunately I do not have the link. I found that PathScale's link
checker (derived from an OSU benchmark) is very handy. Perhaps you can
find the link in the archive. Also check the archive on the issues with
measuring latency.
Best,
Igor