[Beowulf] Multiuser version of ParallelKnoppix

Ellis Wilson xclski at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 17 17:46:44 PDT 2007

Michael Creel <michael.creel at uab.es> wrote: An alpha version of a multiuser-capable ParallelKnoppix is under development. ParallelKnoppix is a live CD that allows rapid creation of HPC clusters. I expect that this version might be useful for classroom instruction or for small research groups. I'm interested in receiving feedback about the security model. I _think_ it's pretty much OK, except right at boot when a default password is left hanging out there, but I'm not an expert. There is more information at the PK homepage,  http://pareto.uab.es/mcreel/ParallelKnoppix/
TIA, Michael
Back in 2004 a similar item was used for rapid creation of heterogeneous clusters and it was called FlashMob.  A professor in California developed it, though the main page looks quite abandoned and I doubt work is continuing on it.  My short attempts to get it up and running were largely failures, and since I couldn't see exactly what was happening :) I grew angry and threw the cds away.  I wonder where this new item differs and where it is the same?

 Ellis