[Beowulf] Passwordless ssh - strange problem

James Bardin jbardin at bu.edu
Fri Sep 14 10:14:25 PDT 2007

Hi Jeff,

Did you specify the key on the command line (-i .ssh/id_rsa), or load it
into an agent with shh-add?

You can make sure you're sending the key by increasing the verbosity
(-v), and check the logs on the clients. sshd will log why it rejected a
key for authentication.

The permissions should be 600

-jim

laytonjb at charter.net wrote:
> Afternoon cluster party goers,
>
> I'm having trouble on a cluster with passwordless ssh. I followed all the
> steps (I think). On the head node, I generated the public and private
> keys and then copied id_rsa.pub to authorized keys. Then I tried
> logging into compute nodes and it asks for my password every time
> (regardless of the number of times I log into the node). I've tried changing
> the permissions on authorized_keys a few times (600, 644) and that
> doesn't seem to change the behavior. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jeff

James Bardin - Systems Analyst / Administrator I
Boston University Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
8 Saint Mary's St, Room 305, Boston, MA 02215
Ph:617-358-2785         http://www.bu.edu/ece/it