[Beowulf] Diskless booting help:

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Thu Sep 6 06:55:07 PDT 2007

>> what are your kernel arguments?  on a full pxe/nfsroot cluster of mine,
>> /proc/cmdline looks like:
>>
>> ip=dhcp root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=10.50.5.5:/newclu/,rsize=4096,v3,nolock \
>> rootfstype=ext2 BOOT_IMAGE=bzImage-2.6.22.2 \
>> ip=10.50.4.1:10.50.5.5:10.50.63.254:255.255.192.0
>>
>> (to tell you the truth, I don't know why rootfstype=ext2 is in there -
>> maybe it's obsolete...)
>
> Is there some reason for the multiple ip keywords?

hah, I'd forgotten about that too.  the first is the one I put there,
and the second was the result of pxelinux's ipappend.  I have had
thoughts of using the ipappend one, rather than relying on the
kernel's internal dhcp.  after all, it seems kind of silly to dhcp
as part of pxe, then again in the kernel level autoconfiguration.
the kernel's dhcp also seems to be kinda slow.

using ipappend would mean doing the interface config and nfs mount
inside the initrd; currently, I don't need the initrd at all, which
is kind of nice.  the general feeling of kernel developers, though,
is against convenience as an argument for things that actually can
be done in userspace...