[Beowulf] Queue Systems

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Thu Sep 6 03:52:21 PDT 2007

On 6 Sep 2007, at 10:30 am, andrew holway wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are trying to work out the differences between these queue systems.
>
> Can anyone shed any light? Pros and Cons...
>
> SGE, Torque (with Maui), PBSPro and LSF

LSF is very good, but costs $$$.  Platform's support is, in my
experience, extremely good.  The last time I reported a bug they had
a fix to me inside two hours, which is pretty good going.  What's
more, although we're a big customer now, my experience of them as a
small customer in the past, with less than ten nodes, was just as good.

I hear consistently good things about SGE but don't have much
personal experience of it.  Certainly in the bioclusters area, the
general consensus seems to be that SGE does the batch scheduling job
perfectly well, and LSF adds a few bells and whistles over the top
which are not necessarily strictly related to batch scheduling, but
if you need them are an absolute winner.  For instance, the LSF 7
infrastructure is also a high-ability framework which you can use for
creating failover applications and other services.  The LSF 7 batch
scheduler is just a client of this more general underlying framework
(which has the unfortunate acronym of EGO - Enterprise Grid
Orchestrator).  Of course, you can do that failover stuff with free
software too, using things like heartbeat.

Tim