[Beowulf] Erlang as a language for Beowulf applications

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 4 10:56:15 PDT 2007

This language i do not know at all.

However... ...as i can type at a keyboard i'll make the internet a more
safer place :)

I'd like to react onto this posting, even though this wasn't your question
nor answers it, apologies for that.

Please realize why people build a cluster.

A cluster is a hard thing to build currently. When it changes in future in
effort to build a cluster, then obviously the next statement also might
change; namely that considering the effort it takes to build a cluster (huge
linux knowledge needed) and the huge price of running a cluster (consider
not only the price of the cluster itself but also the running costs,
systemadministration and so on), that it's kind of pathetic to run
applications at such a cluster that can't get the maximum out of the
software.

So anything in C#, JAVA that is doing number crunching on such a cluster, is
basically a total waste of money, as you could have saved tons of money in
that case by making a smaller cluster.

Additionally a cluster outdates very quickly. Within a year or 2 you already
must start upgrading to a new cluster. So those tons of money that a cluster
has as a cost price,
you keep spending.

In short having software that is as low level as possible, makes sense to
have. Having low level software, means you usually also have a capable
person of parallellizing that application using the fastest communication
technology that you have available. Usually that will be MPI of course.

So there is not many advantages in supporting other languages than C, C++
and MPI for clusters.

Of course if something would be interesting to make, then it is a shared
memory model,
as that's the only thing real interesting at a cluster to have.

Any other language will always suffer from inferior compiler technology.

That said, things might change of course, when it gets cheaper to build a
cluster and easier to set it up.

I currently don't see microsofts cluster technology as 'real easy'.

Vincent