[Beowulf] Old versions of Linux

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Sun Oct 28 23:52:50 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 06:54 +0530, Sandip Dev wrote:
> Thanks everyone. I got it. I will be using MPICH for my cluster. And
> my distro would be Ubuntu Giutsy Gibbon. It already has support for
> x86-64 architecture and SMP. So now i have to install MPICH. Hope
> everything goes well.

Sandip, sorry that we have put you off from using Mosix.
As Tony Travis said, it is appropriate for a lot of workloads - and I
have supported it in a bioinformatics role at the Natural History
Museum.

But you're right to go with something on a 2.6 kernel!

You don't mention what network type you are going to use to connect the
computers in the cluster? Most probably the onboard gigabit ethernet.
If your nodes do not have onboard gigabit, give some thought to buying
Intel e1000 cards as an add-on.
Also give some thought to the IP network numbering before you start to
build the cluster. I realise this is likely to be a testbed system, but
it is worth getting a plan for networking together beforehand. It is
'traditional' to use one of the private address ranges to test machines
like this.