[Beowulf] Old versions of Linux

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Sun Oct 28 12:37:02 PDT 2007

> I am totally new to clustering. It seems most clustering software like
> OpenMosix need 2.4 kernel to work.

I guess that's one of the reasons Mosix has been ended.

> Where can I get a older 2.4 kernel based
> Linux?

old distros are still plenty available, just not well advertised (or supported).

>Any ideas. Also does MPICH and OpenMPI require 2.4 kernel to run or
> do they run on 2.4? Also do these support 64 bit processors

in general, user-level applications do not require particular kernel
versions, even VERY old ones like 2.4.  there are edges where this is not
true, such as some aspects of thread support.

I believe it's quite appropriate to avoid projects which require 2.4.
the thing has to be let to die sometime, and there are lots of valuable
developments (including current hardware support) which you'll really
notice the lack of.