[Beowulf] impressions of Super Micro IPMI management cards?

Craig West cwest at astro.umass.edu
Mon Oct 22 12:26:28 PDT 2007

Chris,

I'm using the SIMSO version of the IPMI cards on my machines. No
problems using them for what I wanted them for. Remote power, remote
sensor monitoring and controlling both the BIOS and boot (via Grub) for
Linux. I have also been able to boot Linux, monitor the boot process
over the serial line and login on the serial line (via IPMI).

The motherboards I have use Intel NICs and this means I can use the
out-of-band access to the card. Allows me to use a single Ethernet cable
for both normal traffic and IPMI. I've also configured the IP/Mac
addresses of the cards entirely from Linux (utils provided by SuperMicro).

I've not run the KVM over LAN option. Apparently I can't with my setup
anyway (this is documented).
Power up and Serial over LAN work fine from Linux via ipmitool - and
there is also the Java based GUI SuperMicro application.

> I'm currently looking at a whitebox server vendor and the remote
> management technology they propose is a Super Micro IPMI add-on card,
> apparently from this family of products:
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/SIM.cfm
>
> My needs are pretty minimal -- remote power control. BIOS access and
> the ability to trigger a PXE boot off the network. Anything else is
> just supplemental.
>
> Does anyone have any experience/impressions of the "Supermicro
> Intelligent Management" stuff?
P.S. I am also running SuperMicro Systems - I don't know if (or how
well) they work on other boards.

They work for what I need,

Craig