[Beowulf] impressions of Super Micro IPMI management cards?

Stuart Midgley sdm900 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 16:30:50 PDT 2007

We use them all the time as well, and it has to be said, they are
flaky as hell.

Sometimes commands work, sometimes they don't.  Currently we have
about 5 IPMI cards we can't communicate with.  Another couple we
can't get on the web interface with but can issue commands to using
FreeIPMI.

Their inability to function correctly really becomes apparent when
you loose your water chiller and your automated process starts
issuing power-off commands... and then when you get in, you discover
that some nodes are still up and your machine room is really really hot.

Having said that, we have yet another bios update to apply... perhaps
they will work correctly after we get it on?

--
Dr Stuart Midgley
sdm900 at gmail.com