[Beowulf] distributing storage amongst compute nodes

Leif Nixon nixon at nsc.liu.se
Mon Oct 22 11:48:21 PDT 2007

"Jeffrey B. Layton" <laytonjb at charter.net> writes:

> Leif Nixon wrote:
>> Mark Hahn <hahn at mcmaster.ca> writes:
>>

>>> [...] commodity disks are plenty reliable
>>> and are not a significant source of uptime problems.
>>>

>> That's not quite a general truth. 8^)
>>

> Even though the data shows otherwise?

OK, let me rephrase: That's just true in general, and it's the
specific cases that bite you.

On *average* disks might not be a large source of problems, but when
you run into a bad batch it hurts. But that's true for all components,
of course.

My take on this might be a bit coloured from spending some time the
other day in the company of a representative sample of disks from a
certain bad batch, a crowbar, a sledgehammer and several pounds of
thermite. (Sorry, rgb, no sucker rod available around here.)

--
Leif Nixon                       -            Systems expert